A few days ago I wrote about how easy I find it to complain instead of being thankful. A friend responded some of the problem might be all the input we get today from media.
I thought about that and realized much of the information we get is geared to the negative.
- We call a traffic light a “stop” light even though it is green as often as it is red.
- The weather man says we have a 40% chance of snow instead of telling us we have a 60% chance of no snow.
- The news channel reports the kids who commit a crime but seldom report all the many kids who make the honor roll, who help the elderly across the street, who visit the kids in the cancer ward, who teach the children on Sundays or participate in the worship team.
- Most of our news is about the negative events taking place in our community instead of the multitude of good acts being committed every day.
- And to wade into the dangerous area of politics, our political candidates run less on the positive things they have done or will do than on telling us how terrible their opponent is and all the negative things he/she has done or will do.
As I admitted I complain too often and I am too quick to see the negative. I told my friend that when I get too carried away on the negative I found singing or listening to a good praise song really helps me get my focus back on the many positive things in my life.
These words from the prophet Habakkuk have helped me often when in a complaining mood:
Though the fig tree does not blossom
And there is no fruit on the vines,
Though the yield of the olive fails
And the fields produce no food,
Though the flock is cut off from the fold
And there are no cattle in the stalls,
Yet I will [choose to] rejoice in the Lord;
I will [choose to] shout in exultation in the [victorious] God of my salvation!
The Lord God is my strength [my source of courage, my invincible army];
He has made my feet [steady and sure] like hinds’ feet
And makes me walk [forward with spiritual confidence] on my [a]high places [of challenge and responsibility].