I do the weekly church bulletin and monthly newsletter for my church. It is a job that I take seriously. Each week I try to promote the various programs of my church, enlist volunteers as needed and share words that I hope will encourage and challenge our church family.
My husband helps greet and pass out the bulletins each week. I notice basically three groups of people who are offered a bulletin. One group seems happy to get it, opens it and reads it. Sometimes they even tell me how they enjoy the bulletins. Another group takes one but clearly just puts it in their purse or bible to be discarded without actually reading. A small group even refuses one clearly not interested in anything that might be in the bulletin. While I am do not mind people not taking or not reading the bulletin, I just find it interesting that later many will say they did not know about an event coming up that was in the bulletin.
Since we do not take a lot of time from our worship or sharing of the Word to make announcements, my pastor has tried to encourage those who do not read the bulletin to begin using it so they are better informed about what is going on in the church. To encourage this, he has offered to give $5.00 to anyone who finds a typo in the bulletin. Being somewhat of a perfectionist, I strive to make sure there are no typos.
However, last week I made a mistake in announcing a women’s event. I listed the event as being on Saturday rather than Friday. One of our young girls spotted the mistake (for which I am grateful so we did not have people missing on Friday and showing up on Saturday) and claimed the $5.00.
This started me thinking about all the bulletin bloopers I have seen over the years. As one who has done bulletins for years, I tend to spot mistakes in church bulletins when I visit other churches. I have collected some of the funniest and I thought you might enjoy a good laugh so I will share a few.
DISCLAIMER: Not all of these are ones I personally saw – several are ones that have been posted in other blogs and articles. I do not mean to plagiarize but since I do not know who to give credit for the ones that are not my own originals, please let me know if you know who should be given credit for these.
Enjoy and have a laugh!
Oh – yeah — and if you go to church, read your bulletin!
- For those of you who have children and don’t know it, we have a nursery down stairs.
- Thursday night: Potluck Supper – Prayer and medication will follow.
- Evening massage – 6 p.m.
- Low Self-Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 to 8:30 p.m. Please use the back door.
- Ladies, don’t forget the rummage sale. It is a good chance to get rid of those things not worth keeping around the house. Bring your husbands.
- The peacemaking meeting scheduled for today has been canceled due to a conflict.
- The ‘Over 60s Choir’ will be disbanded for the summer with the thanks of the entire church.
- Applications are now being accepted for 2 year-old nursery workers.
- A new loudspeaker system has been installed in the church. It was given by one of our members in honor of his wife.